Saturday, March 29, 2014

Bit of fun for Saturday

These questionnaire pieces can be fun if you're up too early on a Saturday morning... 
When were you happiest? Probably when I heard I'd passed maths O level and realised I'd never have to do it again.  
What is your greatest fear? Losing my loved ones.
What is your earliest memory? Climbing on the back of an armchair to reach the LP turntable.  
What is the trait you most deplore in yourself? Forgetfulness. 
What was your most embarrassing moment? 
Playing part of the Mozart G minor Piano Quartet in the final concert of a music course and falling over my fingers. This wouldn't have mattered as much if two of my group hadn't been the kids of a VIP conductor who'd turned up to listen. Owch.
Property aside, what's the most expensive thing you've bought? My Bechstein.
Where would you like to live? New York.
What would your super power be? Dematerialising then rematerialising in the place I want to be without having to travel. Beam me up, Scottie.
What do you most dislike about your appearance? I'm too short.
What do you owe your parents? Everything.
If you could bring something extinct back to life, what would you choose? Vibrato. 
Who would play you in the film of your life? Lauren Bacall, please.
Is it better to give or to receive? To give. You know there's no hidden agenda.
What is your guiltiest pleasure? C-H-O-C-O-L-A-T-E...
To whom would you most like to say sorry, and why? To a couple of friends whom I introduced to other friends thinking there could be a good alliance, only to find that they weren't really friends at all and the results turned embarrassing. 
What has been your biggest disappointment? Discovering that musicality is no guarantee someone is also a decent human being. 
If you could edit your past, what would you change? I'd cut the bit where my parents and sister all died of cancer, and would keep them alive and healthy and happy today.
When did you last cry, and why? At last year's Proms launch, when I heard they'd programmed the Korngold Symphony.
How do you relax? Jogging. 
What is the closest you've come to death? Plane struck by lightning between Rio and Buenos Aires. Apparently it's not really so dangerous, but it didn't feel great.
Where would you most like to be right now? Somewhere hot, soaking up the sun with a long coffee and a good book.
Tell us a joke. The world's most expensive musical instrument - £45m - has been plastered all over the papers these past few days. It's a viola.