Monday, April 02, 2018

Well, that was fun.

I'm not becoming a conductor. That was an April Fool's joke. I've said a kindly version of 'gotcha' quite a few times in the past 24 hours, though. In this delightful age, it often seems that many people are ready to believe pretty much anything, and the best thing about April Fool's Day is that it reminds us we have to weigh up the likelihood of what we read being true, or otherwise, on all the other 364 days of the year as well.

I'd love to be a conductor, but as you need a brain the size of Africa, a skin of titanium and the stamina of a super-marathon runner to cope with that profession, I think it's unlikely to happen. It's a friendly dream, a personal fairy-tale.

The whole world is based on fairy-tales, though. Everyone believes in some of their own, whether pre-set religion, nationalism or the magic of music. That's partly why I'm so fascinated by them generally, and that's one reason I'm working on Meeting Odette (which you can pre-order and be thanked for supporting here, and I'd be extremely grateful if you did) and will be spending quite a lot of time with various others over the next several years. My "career" is undergoing some changes. Just not one involving a podium.

PS - this time last year the London Hamburger Orchestra was also an April Fool's joke. They are not moving to Hamburg. (Though I still think it wouldn't be such a bad idea if they did.)